*The following recipe is from Drake Meats Ambassador, Chelsea Suik-Thomas.
Waffles of Greatness & Drake Meats Farmer Sausage
“Seriously the best waffles and sausage you’ll ever eat. Don’t skip the rest time before you start cooking. I don’t know why, but it makes them amazing. I almost always double or quadruple this recipe and freeze them for snacks or quick breakfasts later.”
What You’ll Need:
- 1 package of Drake Meats Original Farmer’s Sausage, cut into medallions
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter, syrup, whipped cream, fruit, and more for topping. Get crrraaaazy!
- Preheat cast iron or stainless steel pan on stovetop. Tip in cut sausage and fry until heated through and starting to brown.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. Add the milk, oil, egg, sugar, and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
- While the batter rests, preheat your waffle iron. Follow directions for your waffle iron to cook the waffles. I usually cook mine between setting 3 & 4 for about 5 minutes or until waffles are golden brown.
- Serve with immediately desired toppings. Cooled waffles can be frozen or chilled in fridge for later use.