*The following recipe and photos are from Chelsea Suik-Thomas at The Elite Petite Daycare in Saskatoon.
I always thought that making homemade pizza would be difficult and time consuming until I discovered quick rise pizza dough. If you’re serious about makin’ pizza like I am, then invest in a pizza stone and peel; I promise, you’ll never go back to store-bought or delivery again!
A preheated stone yields the best rise and texture, but you could definitely adapt this recipe to use a cookie sheet or whatever pizza vessel you prefer.
What You’ll Need (yields 2 large pizzas):
Quick & Easy Pizza Dough:
- 2.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 pkg (2.25 tsp) quick rise yeast
- 1 tbsp Italian Spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 pkg Drake Meats Maple Bacon, diced & cooked
- 1 pkg Pizza Pepperoni
- 1 recipe homemade pizza sauce (see notes) or 1 jar of store-bought
- 4-6 cups of mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (if using a stone, put it in the oven during as soon as you preheat oven).
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Measure out warm water and mix in oil and honey.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until a dough starts to form.
- Knead for 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or transfer to mixer and use dough hook attachment on low.
- Form into a ball and let rise for 20 minutes in a lightly oiled bowl, covered with saran wrap.
- Roll dough out on a piece of parchment and add toppings. Use your pizza peel to slide prepared pizza and parchment onto preheated stone in the oven.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese in centre is bubbling and crust is golden brown.
For homemade sauce, simply mix 1 small can of organic tomato paste with a couple tablespoons of Italian spice and parmesan cheese. Add just enough water to thin out the sauce.