Bacon lovers, rejoice! This Bacon-Weave Apple Pie is a sweet and salty twist on the classic.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 package Drake Meats Maple Bacon
- Crust ready-made or homemade (see below)
- 1 ¼ cups gluten free graham crackers – crushed
- ½ cup of melted butter
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 can of Apple Filling or homemade (see below)
- 4 cups apples peeled, cored, and diced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine the sugar with the crushed graham cracker crumbs.
- Add the melted butter and mix well until a dry paste is formed.
- Press into pie plate or spring form pan.
- Place apples in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
- Place water, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan. Stir to combine then bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- Once the mixture boils, boil it for two minutes.
- Add the apples, turn to a simmer and cover, stirring often, until the apples soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- Once pie filling cools add to the crust.
- Add bacon in a weave pattern to the top of the pie.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until bacon is well cooked (if a crisper bacon is preferred broil on high for an addition 1-2 minutes until desired crispness is achieved).